Thursday, January 27, 2011

Nan's Tomato Sauce Recipe

My Nan - Marge Simpson (yes you all read right), makes the most delicious Tomato Sauce and with my beautiful tomato plants full of fruit - I thought it would be a great idea to make some sauce.

The only trouble is - my tommies are yet to turn red - BUT - since I have her recipe, I will share it with you all.

Nanna Marge's Delicious Tomato Sauce




Ingredients

3.5 kilo tomatoes
2 tbs garlic - chopped finely
6 cups sugar
6 cups vinegar (white)
1 tbs cloves - tied in a muslin bag
3 large cooking applies (granny smith)
1 tbs ground ginger
1 tbs pepper (black or white)
1 tbs mustard powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbs salt

Method

  • Slice tomatos & apples
  • Boil together with chopped garlic in a large saucepan
  • Boil until tender
  • Strain through a colander into a large bowl
  • Place strained tomatos, garlic and apple into your large saucepan
  • Add rest of ingredients to saucepan
  • Simmer on low heat for 3 hours - don't forget to stir every now and then
  • Whilst hot/warm, pour into bottles and let cool.

Enjoy!

No comments: