Friday, November 26, 2010

Werribee Park Mansion - what a grand home!

My husband & I lived in inner city Melbourne for quite a few years before we bought land and built our first home in Point Cook.

After being in the area for quite some time, a girl friend and I went out driving one day and happen to come across the Werribee Park Manison and the Sofitel Werribee Park Hotel.

From the moment I walked into this grand garden and it's massive and I mean massive residence, you are transported to a time of opulance and style, the gardens are truly inspiring, green grass everywhere, an ornamental lake and paths and nooks and crannies that draw you in.

Werribee Park Mansion was built by pastoralists Andrew Chirnside and Thomas Chirnside between 1874 and 1877 in the Italianate style.

Its residential and working buildings supported a large farm workforce. The rooms open to the public include the billardroom, the main bedrooms, the reception rooms and part of the kitchen.

When Thomas Chirnside committed suicide, some of the property was passed on to George Chirnside, thus building the Manor in the 1890s. From 1923 to 1973, the Mansion was a Catholic seminary, Corpus Christi College.

When trying to find a venue for our wedding, I took my husband back to where my girlfriend and I had discovered and he like me knew instantly what a beautiful place Werribee Park would be for our wedding.

I've popped just a few photos on here for you too see the granduer of the estate and is still is today the largest private residence to be built in Victoria.

Paterre Garden @ the Mansion

Werribee Park Mansion, Werribee Victoria

Stunning gum

Just one garden where we were married

No comments: